Chapter 1: Kick-Starting 'Delhi Bikers Breakfast Run' (DBBR)



The poster for the first ride. Note where we were
going and what the photo was showing.
A guy who knows his riding days are numbered has three options.  
      a)    Go Sulk          (Poor me)
      b)    Go Sour         (Her fault)
      c)    Go Start         (New plan)

I got married end 2007 and after some crazy bike trips we decided on being parents by 2010. Pregnancy meant motorcycling through the Himalayas would be on pause.

So in mid 2009 my mom-in-law suggested I do a ‘breakfast run’. Just message some friends to ride out early morning to a dhaba an hour out  of Delhi. I thought that was silly.

Who in Delhi would wake up and join me to go on such a short ride? But for me this was the only option to keep riding regularly, stay connected with friends and still have the rest of Saturday to chill at home. 

By September I started a Facebook group called ‘2 Wheels Breakfast Run’. 
I didn’t care what bike people came on hence the ‘2 Wheels’.
Until then motorcycling groups were obsessed with the brand of their bike.
It didn’t matter who you were, what qualified you was the machine you rode.

I got tired of groups that seemed to be PR agents for various companies. 
Many bikers couldn’t meet simply because they rode a different brand or couldn’t handle the juvenile ‘rules’ in such groups. It was a biker’s caste system that measured a person’s worth based on a logo on their tank or labels on their back.

The second issue was that most rides in Delhi happened on Sunday’s and as a pastor, I worked from 9am to 8pm. I could only ride on Saturdays. I was now sure no one would bother.

In fact by now my workload had increased to such an extent that I couldn’t attend the Royal Beasts Club meet at the dhaba. No one seemed to get the point that whenever I did visit, I was skipping work.

So the Saturday arrived. It was a cool winter Delhi morning. I was expecting around 10-12 bikers at the Moolchand petrol pump. By 6am we had crossed 40 bikers! Besides few of my Royal Beasts friends there were many other non-club and non-Enfield bikers. 
I couldn’t believe the turnout!

We rode in no formation. 
We rode without knowing where we would stop for breakfast.
We rode not knowing if this would ever happen again.
What formation? Lets take over NH8!


Before Old Delhi Motorcycles Bobbee Singh 
was known for peddling exotic hats


Why let crutches come between a great Breakfast Run?


The first bunch that demolished 100 alloo paratha's in an hour! 

Comments

  1. Great to be a part of DBBR ... wish to c many more rides :) cheers and drive hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vipin! Hope to hear your motorcycle story on one of our rides

      Delete
    2. Hi i want to knw its this ride are on these days or not

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Josh. Hope you take this already successful venture to new heights. How about a breakfast ride to Ladakh? :)

    Rajesh Dhawan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're already stretching me with all your ideas on every ride...if we were to ride to Ladakh, it would mean we only have b'fast for 10 days...ha ha ha!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Josh.. Proud to be a part of DBBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yangfa...great things are ahead for you too buddy!

      Delete
  4. Feels good to be connected with this group, and only DBBR ride can wake me up at 4.30 in the morning that too on Saturday...

    Thank you Josh for giving us this group...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget waking up, DBBR doesn't let me go to sleep! ha ha ha. Thank you Piysuh for being part of something bigger than all of us.

      Delete
  5. Why let crutches come between a great Breakfast Run?

    Hahaha best way to kill 6 months of BAD BED rest ;)

    It was a great fun that day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first time I met so many characters...including you!

      Delete
  6. And, its rather good to have an unplanned trip
    Just meet some Saturday and drive off - where ever the road takes
    #explore

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Karan...unplanned trips are great. But I found with a larger group there had to be some basic plan or else it got chaotic.
    Once you have a job, family, time is limited :) Riding off whenever to go wherever becomes difficult.
    But yes, when you're on your own, when it comes to riding...sometimes no plan is the best plan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try my best to be with DBBR throughout my life...
    thanks Joshua bhai for giving us Lovely Two Wheeler family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KD thanks bhai for the support and you're an awesome person to have on our rides...

      Delete
  9. Oh..sad..I missed too much fun..I wish I could start riding in 2006 or before..:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past helps us know a bit about the journey but one can't live there...we'll be making motorcycle memories into the future bro!

      Delete
  10. I totally agree that
    Solo driving, is easy and limitless
    Though I have never gone on one
    Take my bike out just for the DBBR events

    But doesn’t solo riding comes with its own set backs
    Single person - what if tyre inflates, something breaks down – how to get on with it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will elaborate on the pro's and cons of solo vs. group riding.
    I prefer small or solo when doing long distance rides (10-30 days)
    Breakdowns are how I learnt how to reach out to locals, picked up some basic mechanic skills and got stories to tell:) That's part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll wait to know more about the
    solo v/s group riding

    that will definitely be something to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    I also want to join your group and brkfst bike rides....how to do that....how can I come for a ride with you people??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 3: First Supper with The Royal Beasts Club

The Price of Winning Biker Prizes